Dana Point CA Real Estate and Homes for Sale in Dana Point CA
Aside from being known for beautiful coastal views and for being one of the few harbors found in Orange County, Dana Point is also a prime surfing destination. The town has a rich history as well and was one of the preferred port areas during the early days of trade with Mission San Juan Capistrano in the 1800’s.
Dana Point Harbor, one of the most prominent landmarks in the county, can contain over 2,500 boats and is a favorite destination of residents and tourists alike. Dana Point is visited by thousands of people each year, and the harbor contains a diverse array of dining, shopping and entertainment options.
Just some of the neighborhoods that can be found in the city include Monarch Beach, the luxury housing development of The Strand at Headlands, and the suburban community composed of Spanish-style houses in the Capistrano Beach area.
- The town was officially incorporated on January 1, 1989, and was named after Richard Henry Dana, Jr., author of Two Years before the Mast (1840), who was also a Harvard-trained lawyer and politician.
- Some of the earliest companies to produce different products for surfing can be found in Dana Point. In fact, the world’s first surf shop, Hobie Alter, set up shop in Dana Point in 1954.
- Dana Point has a land area of 76.364 square miles and is part of the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana Metro Area.
- As of 2014, Dana Point had a recorded population of over 33,000.
- As of 2014, the median cost of residential property in Dana Point is just below $800,000.
- Just some of the notable annual events that happen in Dana Point are The Festival of Whales (March), Tall Ships Festival (September), Dana Point Concours d’ Elegance, Dana Point Grand Prix and the Turkey Trot.